Monday, June 8, 2009

Bangladesh Dialogues


It’s around 16 degrees outside now and I am watching over Aarhus`s carefully planned profile. Returning here has been like visiting an old friend, I’ve had a great time in DK for 1,5 years before the traineeship. However, being away for 5 months in Bangladesh has been an interesting experience and left an impressive mark in me for years to come.

Bangladesh Dialogues is a summary of my experience in one of the most tensely populated countries in the world.

The standard questions for me included “Your country, sir?” “Are you a tourist, sir?” “Are you married, sir?” “What is your religion, sir?” and “What do you think of Bangladesh, sir?” I probably answered these questions more times than I wanted to, but for you, it`s a pleasure to do it once again.

“Your country, sir?”

“I come from Estonia – a small country North-East Europe”

I guess Estonians who has been abroad for a while, has discovered that actually very few or mostly nobody knows where Estonia is or how you eat it. I’ve been accused of coming from Africa, Latin- America and all sorts of places. Although, being not well known has sometimes also its bright sides. Nobody is accusing you for the war on terror or the cartoons on Mohammed for example.

“Are you a tourist, sir?”

“Well not exactly, I am doing a traineeship here”

Doing a traineeship in Dhansiri Communication – a 360 degree ad agency in Dhaka, was awesome. Honestly said, the company was at times missing a clear direction and systems where chaotic, but it was exactly those factors what let me take so much responsibility and use my entrepreneurial spirit to the fullest. I had more opportunities that I could’ve use and I loved it. I had the unique chance to work for UNICEF, the World Food Programme and several commercial giants.

“Are you married, sir?”

“No”

“Why?”

“Well…I guess I haven’t found the right girl yet”

“I will pray for you so you can get married soon”

“I appreciate it”

“But, what is your religion, sir?”

“Mhm (rethinking my answer as the asker is a rickshaw puller), I am actually not religious at all. My God has no name and for praying I go jogging, swimming or meditate”

Hardly ever, people grasped the concept of not being religious. Even if some younger folks made a smart face as if they would get it, the reality showed, that it is a very far concept for most Bangladeshi. Religion is still very much on top of the agenda in. The Imam is hardly questioned about his sources. Interestingly, I met also people who are afraid to admit, that they are not pro all the guidelines by the Quran, as it is a taboo. I am not here to prosecute anybody or force my views on, but I do believe that the all the major religions (and I mean all) are actually demoralizing God than paying respects.

“What do you think of Bangladesh, sir?”

“It’s very diverse, crazy and interesting. I like it!”

Bangladeshi are probably the most hospitable people I have had the chance to meet. I got mostly even more attention than I wished for, but it’s very nice to feel that I am cared about. The experience also showed me such diversity that I’ve never seen before – rich with 10 maids in the house versus poor on the street with a carton to live in. Unfortunately a lot of people`s lives are driven by personal gain, but there is also a countermovement (like AIESECars), people who are really eager to change the country. I hope the caring will win.

“Take care Bangladesh, well see you again, I am sure.”

Siim Sainas,
Internship in Bangladesh

1 comment:

  1. Further more, if you discover the fact that much of your devote is with the incumbent local change transporter ( this former Bell company or maybe “ILEC”) to get analog support purchased appropriate out connected with tariff
    asikqq
    dewaqq
    sumoqq
    interqq
    pionpoker
    pelangiqq
    hobiqq
    paito warna terlengkap
    http://192.254.236.33/asikqq78/
    datahk 2019

    ReplyDelete