Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Never ending summer - good things happen, when You least expect them.

  • Full name: Mari Lill
  • Birthdate: 12.06.1981
  • University and graduation year: TTU, real estate management 2004,
  • TTU, MBA, from 2006 - ...
  • Craziest thing I have done: still to be done. One of the craziest was probably moving alone to Malaysia ;)
  • My favourite quote: “If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.”

I moved to Kuala Lumpur in the beginning of August in 2008. Never thought I would live so far away from home, but now I wouldn't trade that experience for anything!

I am having my internship here, but then again due to visa issues I am officially an expat. I work in a Telecom company as a business analyst. The world crisis hasn't fully reached here yet, so business is good. At work we have about 100 colleagues, all the religions are represented. Besides me there are AIESEC girls from Brazil and also Poland. They are also my flat mates. I am really lucky that I can share my experiences with someone who are living the same life, the same dream. Work is not difficult and since we are located in a nice place touristically we get to travel to surrounding countries as well, as we have 14 holiday days per
year (not enough i know).

I didn't hesitate to catch the opportunity to live abroad when i got it. I have internet and mobile and can keep contact with friends and family. After 5 months being here, I can say that I have succeeded more or less :)

Life in Kuala Lumpur differs quite a bit. People eat next to the street, they smile a lot (ok You can find smiling people everywhere in the world:), say hi to strangers, they drive a motorbike, wearing a sweater from back to front, I could go on with the differences, but at the end of
the day, or after 5 months I can say that all of those things don't seem so different anymore. Quite normal :)

There's a big community of AIESEC'ers here. At first the group was more close, then kind of apart, due to the leading person's leave, but now it seems it is getting more and more closer again. Every week there's some crazy party or activity with inters all over the world.

I think Malaysia was a right choice for me. I've had the possibility of having a swimming-pool in the back-yard, I've had the possibility to travel and see really beautiful places, I've had the chance of meeting new and really interesting people, I've had the chance of having a summer
every day(!), and what's most important is, I've had the chance of testing myself in a new and far away surrounding. And the conclusions is that I can manage everywhere :) I am happy here. Probably I've also been lucky of having such an opportunity and people around me, but your life is, what You make it :) So don't hesitate to grab opportunities, don't hesitate of having Aiesec internship, don't wonder if You can manage or not, You can for sure!

Hugs from Malaysia - truly Asia,
Mari






No comments:

Post a Comment